Dealing With Db:seed Issues

Dealing with db:seed issues

Today I added some information into the seeds.rb file and ran $ bin/rails db:seed and then $ ran bin/rails s. To my horror, all the information that I had had was gone! No errors showed up on local host and I felt at a loss since my understanding of databases is so limited. Thankfully with the help of my co-worker, we figured out a solution.

Here’s what I learned:

If an error occurs with $ bin/rails db:seed, the error can be silent and not appear either on your console or on local host. It’s almost like asking Rails what’s wrong and she replies wistfully - nothing - but you know something is wrong. So you go ask Ruby by going into the Rails console and start running some tests;

$ rails c

$ Book.all
...Book Load (0.2ms) SELECT "books".* FROM "books" => #<ActiveRecord::Relation []>

Nothing there, at least that tells me that something is wrong, we just don’t know what yet.

Here’s where we create a book on the console to be able to see what and where things go wrong;

$ Book.create!(title: 'WinniePoo', description: %{<p> hello </p>}, image_url: 'lol.jpg', review: 5.0)

(use bang method to throw an error, otherwise it’ll fail silently once again) Bang method usually has a destructive side effect when running with a command. Bang is like the antithesis of the command. It is a powerful method that I just learned today! Bang method is unique to the function. (fix this)

ActiveRecord::RecordInvalid: Validation failed: Image url must be a URL for GIF, JPG or PNG image. from /Users/quottly/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.1/gems/activerecord-5.0.0.rc1/lib/active_record/validations.rb:78:in raise_validation_error' from /Users/quottly/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.1/gems/activerecord-5.0.0.rc1/lib/active_record/validations.rb:50:insave!‘ from /Users/quottly/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.1/gems/activerecord-5.0.0.rc1/lib/active_record/attribute_methods/dirty.rb:30:in save!' from /Users/quottly/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.1/gems/activerecord-5.0.0.rc1/lib/active_record/transactions.rb:324:inblock in save!’ from /Users/quottly/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.1/gems/activerecord-5.0.0.rc1/lib/active_record/transactions.rb:395:in block in with_transaction_returning_status' from /Users/quottly/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.1/gems/activerecord-5.0.0.rc1/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/database_statements.rb:232:inblock in transaction' from /Users/quottly/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.1/gems/activerecord-5.0.0.rc1/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/transaction.rb:189:in within_new_transaction' from /Users/quottly/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.1/gems/activerecord-5.0.0.rc1/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/database_statements.rb:232:intransaction' from /Users/quottly/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.1/gems/activerecord-5.0.0.rc1/lib/active_record/transactions.rb:211:in transaction' from /Users/quottly/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.1/gems/activerecord-5.0.0.rc1/lib/active_record/transactions.rb:392:inwith_transaction_returning_status' from /Users/quottly/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.1/gems/activerecord-5.0.0.rc1/lib/active_record/transactions.rb:324:in save!' from /Users/quottly/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.1/gems/activerecord-5.0.0.rc1/lib/active_record/suppressor.rb:45:insave!‘ from /Users/quottly/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.1/gems/activerecord-5.0.0.rc1/lib/active_record/persistence.rb:51:in create!' from (irb):6 from /Users/quottly/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.1/gems/railties-5.0.0.rc1/lib/rails/commands/console.rb:65:instart’ from /Users/quottly/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.1/gems/railties-5.0.0.rc1/lib/rails/commands/console_helper.rb:9:in start' from /Users/quottly/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.1/gems/railties-5.0.0.rc1/lib/rails/commands/commands_tasks.rb:78:inconsole' from /Users/quottly/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.1/gems/railties-5.0.0.rc1/lib/rails/commands/commands_tasks.rb:49:in run_command!' from /Users/quottly/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.1/gems/railties-5.0.0.rc1/lib/rails/commands.rb:18:in‘ from bin/rails:4:in require' from bin/rails:4:in

Here it is! List of errors. Now we can get started on problem solving.

We went into the app/models/book.rb and I just completely removed the

1
2
3
4
validates :image_url, allow_blank: true, format: {
  with: %r{\ .(gif\ jpg\ png)\ Z}i,
  message: 'must be a URL for GIF, JPG or PNG image.'
}

Since it has been causing me errors since the beginning. I ran $ Book.create!... again, and this time-success!

I was able to $ bin/rails db:seed and my page is showing the books and data once again :D

Every day I am reminded of how much I still have to learn.

Comments